Saturday, August 20, 2016

Not Dead Yet!

 
For the past five years I’ve had a habit: I read my emails, check the latest on Facebook then open the Weight Watchers Community site and pore over all of my friends’ blogs. And then suddenly, the community was gone and I was left with a hole in my heart.
Emails, Facebook posts and WW Connect blurbs just aren’t filling that space in me that was used to writing, commenting and deeply connecting. Thankfully, members of the community are slowly making the leap to personal blogs. It won’t be the same, but we can at least try it.
So this is my blog. It’ll include a photo each time just like my WW one did. I’ll continue to talk about adventures big and small. I’ll try to write with hope, even on the days I’m just not feeling it. And of course I will blather on about my work to lose weight.
So…my latest adventure was an 8-day one. While my husband was on a long trip to Asia, my little sister came to Washington D.C. to play tourist with me for part of the time. Unfortunately, her trip coincided with area record heat/humidity combinations. It was between 98-100 degrees and 60-70% humidity the whole time she was here. We felt the blistering heat and moaned about it but it never stopped us from getting out as planned. Well, on the hottest day we did decide not to walk the length of the National Mall, but that was the only real adaptation due to the weather.
Early on, we rode the metro to Arlington National Cemetery. It is beautiful even aside from its reason for being. It sits on a hillside looking down on all that is great and memorable about Washington D.C. And then there are the memorials and gravesites. John F. Kennedy’s is front and center. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, guarded around the clock by a contingent of U.S. Marines, is in a prominent position. The Iwo Jima memorial which we all seem to be familiar with is HUGE and sits in a quiet grassy area.
Even with all the glorious memorials to wars and disasters, it was the tens of thousands of humble headstones that hit me in the soul. Each white stone represents a deep sacrifice that cannot be repaid. I couldn’t help but be touched.
The visit to the cemetery got me thinking about death and new beginnings. I am putting to death my old lazy, defeatist thoughts and habits by working with a personal trainer as of three weeks ago. With her help, I am finding new life in my body and mind. She pushes me, encourages me and reminds me of the commitment I made to myself. When eating right gets hard, and it always does, she tells me that I only have to do it for one week. The other weeks aren’t here yet.
I’m very impressed by my trainer. The results after three weeks have been good – 4 ½ pounds gone, improved strength and balance and a new outlook.
I felt like I was kind of circling the drain from a weight loss perspective but these three weeks have shown me one thing: I’m not dead yet!
Photo: Mine from Arlington National Cemetery.

25 comments:

  1. Thanks for this touching post, Dawn. I could feel the reverence of the cemetery in your writing. And what a great way to make progress, working with your trainer! Congratulations on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thank you for being my very first comment on my very first post! I didn't know how it would all go. So glad you found me.

      Delete
  2. Love this post, I had tears in my eyes reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I'm so glad you kept the same name so I know who you are! Thank you for reaching out and finding me today.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Dawn for resuming your blog. I always followed you on WW. I really miss all the bloggers I followed regularly. I find a lot of support learning from the struggles of others & love it when we are each able to conquer an obstacle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you following me! It is such a comfort to be starting to reconnect. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful to see you blogging. I miss the site as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, it is equally as wonderful to see you pop up here. Thank you for being here!

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you here! I have my blog here too, so I'll add you to my list
    ,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, it was YOUR blog that lead me to the Blogger site so I could set up my own blog. I had tried another site and it was just impossible to navigate so thank you for leading me here!

      Delete
  6. Dawn...I am so glad you started this blog. AND glad you had a good time with your sister. I love your descriptions of some places you visited. I will be following you and add you to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caryl for adding me to your list. It's good we have connected here.

      Delete
  7. Dawn...I am so glad you started this blog. AND glad you had a good time with your sister. I love your descriptions of some places you visited. I will be following you and add you to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blessed this morning when I turned on facebook and YOU popped up! So happy to see a blog from you.

    Love your pictures, and this morning, I'm thankful that you have a trainer that encourages you to think just a week at a time. Keep the blogging and pictures coming! (joyceharris3).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm equally blessed, Joyce. I wrote a blog and then YOU popped up. So glad we haven't lost each other.

      Delete
  9. I can relate to your "circle the drain" comment but thankfully have pulled it back together again the past three weeks. The photo is beautiful and reminds us one day we will have our own headstone....what do we want it to represent? A life well lived and for others is my hope. Rachel Meyers Oelkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you stopped circling the drain right about the same time I did. Whew! We've been given another great chance. And yes, I agree with wanting to represent those same things.

      Delete
  10. Yay for your trainer giving new life to this process!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Dawn, what a wonderful Blog. Thank you for including me and keeping in touch. I think I kinda got sucked down the drain and I am hangin onto the stuff that accumulates on the sides, trying to pull myself back out. Thank you for the encouragement!! Keep up the great work!! jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane. Of course I'll stay in touch. Keep hanging on until something clicks. We can do this!

      Delete
  12. Dawn, thanks for sending me the email regarding your blog. I'm blogging at the Round Table on FB and on Connect. I totally get what you're saying today, especially after the weekend scare my family had. Good Health is the only reason that makes sense to me now, and I'm glad that your new trainer is helping to motivate you again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. I didn't realize Dawnism was a thing. I like it!

      Delete